According to Shop a Review, the city of Ivanovo is the administrative center of the Ivanovo region and the “textile capital” of Russia. There are several architectural sights of different times here, for which Ivanovo was included in the Golden Ring of Russia excursion route.
The first mention of Ivanovo dates back to 1561, when Tsar Ivan the Terrible donated the village to his relatives, the Kabardian princes Temryukovich-Cherkassky. In the 17th century, linen production and ramming began to develop here, which led to the appearance of textile manufactories in the vicinity of the village in the 18th century. At the same time, a technology was being developed for the production of printed fabrics, which were in demand not only in Russia. but also abroad. After a railway was laid to Ivanovo in 1868, factories equipped with the latest equipment began to be built here, and the pace of production increased several times. In 1871, after the merger of the old flax processing center and the new industrial center, the city of Ivanovo-Voznesensk was formed. The working conditions in which the workers worked on the farms did not suit them, so they often went on strike. In 1905, the city ‘s first Soviet of Workers’ Deputies was formed in Ivanovo. After that, Ivanovo was called “the city of the first Council” for a long time. In 1932 Ivanovo-Voznesensk was renamed Ivanovo. In the guise of Ivanovo architectural sights and numerous factory buildings are harmoniously combined. Ivanovo ‘s manor houses of the late 18th – early 20th centuries are impressive. The oldest of them – the estate of E.I. Grachev – was built in the style of early classicism. The only manor built in the Gothic style is very interesting – Düringer’s Mansion. It belonged to the Swiss businessman A.Ya. Düringer and was built in 1910. Many estates have small factories in their backyards that once belonged to their owners.
Worth a look at the Shchudrovsky tent – the earliest brick building of these places. Here, in the 17th century, the Prikaz chambers of the Ivanovo village were located, from where the management of the patrimony took place. Of the old church buildings, the wooden Assumption Cemetery Church (1815), the Holy Assumption Monastery, transferred from the Intercession Monastery built in the 16th century, the Kazan Old Believer Church (19th century), and the Transfiguration Cathedral, which was built at the end of the 19th century in traditions of church architecture of the 17th century. Ivanovo is home to the Ivanovo Regional Art Museum. It was opened in 1960. The exposition of the museum contains more than 30,000 works of art and consists of 5 departments: the art of ancient Egypt, the ancient world, the ancient Russian state of the 18th – early 20th centuries, Soviet art and the art of Palekh. The Museum of Industry and Art named after D.G. Burylin presents expositions on the history and culture of countries around the world, which were created by the manufacturer D.G. Burylin from his own collections collected during his life. The museum building was also built with his money. Here you can see such exhibitions as “Art and Time” with a collection of items that have undergone painstaking restoration, “Arsenal”, which presents a collection of weapons, and the “European Collection” with objects of culture and everyday life of Europe from the 16th-20th centuries.the Museum of A.I. Morozov. This is the only museum of the outstanding Russian painter. This is the only museum in the country of the outstanding Russian painter of the 20th century. The one-story log house contains a collection of paintings, graphic works, archives and personal belongings of Morozov. It would be strange if Ivanovo did not have a museum dedicated to light industry. Such is the Museum of Ivanovo chintz. The exposition of the museum tells about the development of textile production in the Ivanovo region from ancient times to the present day.
South-east of Ivanovo there are ancient villages, in which unique crafts have been practiced for many centuries. This is Palekh, Kholuy and Shuya. Masters of icon painting and lacquer miniatures have been working here since the 17th century.